How I have to deal with the Digital Transformation at my company?
Did you know that in 10 years only 33% of the companies that exist today will be left? What risks are you willing to take? Have you already thought about how to deal with the digital transformation in your company?
You can find in this post 3 keys that can help you with the digital transformation: who has to do it, some of the most common questions and how to do it in your organization, in a collaborative and holistic way. Do not delay it. The level of change is exponential. We cannot put doors to the sea, but we can learn to navigate.
WHO HAS TO BOOST THE DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION?
We have many roles in organizations, and I would say that, in fact, each and every area of an organization should reflect on the impact on its activity. But this is not enough. It is only one part.
Are you a member of the Board of Directors? Your General Manager is the one who has to promote the initiative in the company. Without his/her support, it will not work. Agree with the Board that the digital transformation must be on the Agenda of the CEO. Only then it will be promoted.
Are you the General Director? Great! You must lead this transformation without delay, if you are not doing so already. You should and could start with yourself and promote it in your organization: discover what it implies, what it brings, what it requires.
Are you the Corporate Director? You can drive the digital transformation with determination, and help the General Management in the process of reflecting on the opportunities it generates and the cost or risk of not considering it.
Are you the Human Capital Director? You are the main agent of change. You are the right hand that your General Management needs to get the transformation to take place in the company. You are the one who can accompany the evolution of the culture of your company, respecting its identity, towards what the Digital Transformation implies and requires: the evolution of behaviors to much more collaboration, transparency, curiosity, agility … Depending on the current situation in your company, it will be a longer or shorter way to go.
Are you the CIO / Technology Director? You know that without the people of the different business units / areas Technology does not work. Technology without a “why”, without a rationale, does not provide the expected return. But without the courage to try it, the profitable opportunities for your company are not detected, either. And you, do you empathize with your customers? Do you work together with them? Do you share technological opportunities to review if there are opportunities for your company? You can make known technological facilitators of digital transformation, promote its dissemination, encourage CURIOSITY. Be daring, show a little entrepreneurship and facilitate the development of initiatives with new technologies to solve specific problems with the clients of your business.
Are you the director of Innovation – New business? CDO – Chief Digital Officer? CDO-Chief Data Officer? It means that you are already in a more advanced stage of Digital Transformation, and that you have already taken first steps: to promote new lines of business, or perhaps you are already doing digital marketing, or some proof of concepts, or for example, you use already Big Data, and everything that derives from it, such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. So that you have a reference of the importance of the government of the data, Gartner Chief Data Officer Survey concludes: “In 2021 the office of the CDO (Chief Data Officer) will be a mission critical function, as it is today IT, Operations, HR and Finance, in 75% of companies ”
2021 is tomorrow!!, and we are talking about the criticality of the management of data, of information, in all systems and social networks.
You are….? Any person in charge of any area can promote actions for digital transformation. Promote concept tests, pilot initiatives. And, please, get the General Management support. You will see the real change … And do not forget the Human Capital and Technologies Managers. They are your allies.
WHAT DOUBTS DO YOU HAVE?
First, to note that it is normal to have doubts, and not few of them, either. Investments cost resources, money, time, and if the result is not as expected, it can be limiting.
What can scare or worry you?
- The cost of transformation? This is not as much as you imagine in economic terms, as technology itself is very accessible. The real cost is the level of change involved in the organization and the cost of the opportunity: to be or not to be there tomorrow
- Succeed with the approach? Detect a problem with your customers that you have not been able to solve, and start from there.
- Succeed in the type of transformation? There are many perspectives to work on. Reflect on them, putting the people in the center. This will help you.
- Do I have the talent that I need to have? You sure have talent in your organization, but it is also certain that you will have to activate it. You can find out what digital talent you have, what you may need, and how to activate it on the one hand and retain it on the other.
- The loss of control? Collaboration requires a lot of responsibility with each one of the people and clarity in what needs to be done. Focus on the result.
- The cultural change that it implies? Very much so. This is a big truth. And you have to work on it thoroughly.
In the end, it is one type of transformation more, but with this particular one, I would emphasize that collaboration, transparency, trust, working more in teams and less hierarchically, being more agile and having CURIOSITY for all the new possibilities become key factors, at all levels.
Therefore, there is an evolution of culture, of experimenting and learning a lot.
HOW TO PROMOTE THE DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION?
The digital transformation will only succeed if the General Management is committed to it. Do not forget that. Look for that alliance if you are not the General Manager.
The steps to follow by the General Management are based on 3 elements:
- Start to shape it:
- Identify your need and sense of urgency: what problems do you have with your customers, with your employees, your shareholders, what is happening in the market, with the competition
- Identify the Project Leader with high capacity for motivating the organization and with experience in managing diverse teams to promote the transformation
- Define cross-functional work teams that integrate the entire organization and develop an inspirational message to promote
- Measure where you are, diagnose the starting point well:
- what level of digital knowledge there is in place,
- what amount of transformation has been initiated,
- what training is needed: for you, and for your team, for your organization, and experience at the same time that the training is done,
- reflect on the business strategy: the digital impact on it. And for this, it is a good process to do start-up sessions, where you understand what each technology will bring, what can it give you for your business, and with that being able to identify the actions that can make sense for your business. It shouldn’t be a separate strategy. It is your business strategy.
- Define specific initiatives and prepare for their implementation through a transformation program, so that from minute -1 you are already doing a cultural transformation.
If you want, I can help you with rapid transformation methodologies. Tell me what do you need.
And to inspire you, I recommend this 30-minute video by Fuenciscla Clemares, the General Director of Google Spain, in the presentation “Every 10 years there is a great technological revolution”: First the computer in the company, then the computer at home, third the mobile everywhere and now Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
New paradigms that will change your habits at home, at work, in your business.
Do not put doors to the sea, and if you do not know very well which door to start removing, do not think about it twice: Start now!